The Rio Grande Campus renovation project was part of Austin Community College District’s $386 million bond package approved by voters in 2014.
Renovations began in summer 2017 and the work is almost done with the exception of a few items discovered during inspections that are being addressed.
The Army Futures Command Software Factory started occupying their space in March 2021 and a small number of classes started being held on campus in the fall 2021 semester.
Construction is expected to be complete by January 2022. Move-in for faculty and staff is targeted for late spring 2022; however, global supply chain issues may impact the timeline.
Future construction projects unrelated to the 2014 bond include:
- Enhancements to the south courtyard, including a large solar canopy to provide daylight shading and generate power simultaneously, as well as perimeter decorative metal fencing to enclose the courtyard and secure it after hours.
- Additional irrigation systems to some areas of turf on the east and west sides of Building 1000.
- Adding theater spot lighting in the multipurpose room/south atrium to enhance the user experience.
- Adding continuous marker board trays to general-purpose classrooms per faculty request.
- Adding some interior ACC branding graphics.
Learn more at the Campus Conversation on ACC Facilities on December 10, 2021.