ACC’s Rio Grande Campus Building 1000 historic renovation project has received another award for sustainability, earning the highest accolade by the Austin Green Awards.
The transformation of the 100-year-old Rio Grande Campus main building into an innovative learning hub was named 2022 Project of the Year. As described by the Austin Green Awards, “the new campus honors the character of the neighborhood, strengthens connections to the community, and creates an inclusive experience for all.”
“We are so excited to share the great recognition from the local community of how ACC is making progress on campus modernization while protecting the environment and the historical value that the Rio Grande Campus represents to our community,” says Andy Kim, ACC Energy & Sustainability director. “Now, Rio Grande Campus has won the Austin Green Award of 2022 in addition to the LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Platinum Rating and Austin Energy Green Building 4-Star Rating.”
Sustainability highlights of the project include:
- Preserving the existing structure saved raw construction materials and reduced unnecessary landfill waste.
- Reclaimed water is used for landscape irrigation and water closet flushing, and the reclaimed water usage is also reduced by 78% by the incorporation of drought-tolerant plants in the landscape design.
- More than 90% of potable water was saved indoors by using the reclaimed water for sewage conveyance.
- Close to 40% reduction in total HVAC energy cost.
- More than 50% of building materials were regionally manufactured or harvested, which reduced the long-range shipping cost and helped the regional economy.
- More than 75% of construction waste was diverted from landfill via reuse or recycling.
Learn more details about the project HERE.
Renovations to the building began in summer 2017 and were funded by ACC’s 2014 bond. ACC celebrated its grand reopening with a ribbon-cutting celebration on Tuesday, October 11, 2022.
ACC’s Rio Grande Campus also has earned LEED Platinum Rating — the highest international certification possible for sustainable design and construction — and Austin Energy Green Building 4-Star Rating.
About the Austin Green Awards
The Austin Green Awards were created seven years ago to highlight the next generation of sustainably inspired best practices.
This year’s awards were announced in a ceremony held on October 26. Read more about the Austin Green Awards HERE.