April is Community College Month (#CCMonth), and Austin Community College District (ACC) is proud to join the more than 1,000 community colleges across the nation in celebration.
The special designation was created by the Association of Community College Trustees (ACCT) to improve awareness of the economic, academic, and equity advantages of attending community colleges and share data that overturn longtime stigmas associated with two-year colleges.
“Community colleges are engines of diversity, equity, and inclusion,” says Jee Hang Lee, ACCT President/CEO. “They give opportunities to all students, and they support all students throughout their educations, whether they attend to attain an associate degree or certificate, intend to transfer on for a bachelor’s or higher degree, or they take one or a few courses to learn a new skill or expand their horizons.”
“As community colleges, we have the power and capacity to affect meaningful change and transform the landscape of higher education,” says Dr. Richard Rhodes, ACC Chancellor. “Historically, community colleges have focused on ensuring an open door to college and creating access for everyone. Now, we recognize that we can do more to not only open that door, but to also build pathways for success. Those pathways look different for every student. I’m proud of the work happening at ACC to redefine support and success. Together, we are making big strides, and our students are achieving at greater rates than ever before. It’s an exciting time.”
2023 is a special year for ACC. The college celebrates 50 years of service to the Central Texas region. Over the decades, ACC has become an integral resource in Central Texas. Today, the college is:
- The #1 College Choice among Central Texans
- Equity-Focused and recognized as a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI)
- Named Best of Austin among all colleges/universities in the region by voters in 2022
- Home of Cultural Centers and one of the nation’s first Truth, Racial Healing & Transformation Centers
- Home to 70,000+ Students every year
- Focused on Student Success with advanced learning facilities and simulation centers to bring real-world scenarios and experiences to students
All month long, we’ll share reasons to be #ACCProud. Find us on social media with #CCMonth and #ACCProud.
Join the Conversation
- Post to the Padlet Wall: Leave a comment below and share the things that make you #ACCProud.
- Take to Social Media: Post one of your favorite ACC memories on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or LinkedIn. Use #CCMonth and #ACCProud and tag @ACCDistrict and @CCTrustees to join the national conversation.
- Download the #CCMonth Toolkit: The ACCT developed a special toolkit with CCMonth logos, op-eds, social media posts, resolutions, and more.