Austin Community College District (ACC) names Kelly Torrico as the college’s new Vice Chancellor of Human Resources. In this role, Torrico will support the adoption of best practices across the ACC community that strengthen ACC’s culture of collaboration, connection, and caring (the 3Cs).
“Kelly brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to this role and believes strongly in the ACC mission. During her time already working with ACC, she has proven instrumental in recommending ways to strengthen the work environment in alignment with the College’s 3Cs approach to culture,” says Neil Vickers, ACC executive vice president of Finance and Administration.
The Hiring Committee for the Vice Chancellor of Human Resources position comprised of college leadership and representatives from various divisions of the college:
- Dr. Kathryn Statos – Adjunct Professor, Psychology
- Miguel DeLeon – Executive Assistant & ACC Classified Employee Association President
- Dr. Gaye Lynn Scott – Vice Chancellor, Instruction
- Dr. Guillermo Martinez – Associate Vice Chancellor, Student Engagement & Academic Success
- Al Sims – Director, Accounting
- Nicole Bell – Interim Manager, Staff Professional Development & Evaluation
- Austin Wood – Investigator, Office of Equal Opportunity Compliance
- Michelle Costanzo – Professor, Hospitality Management, Meeting & Event Planning
- Dr. Chris Cervini – Vice Chancellor, Community and Public Affairs
- Neil Vickers – Executive Vice Chancellor, Finance & Administration
As Vice Chancellor of Human Resources, Torrico will not only sustain and develop existing Human Resources functions but will take a strategic and proactive approach aligning the organization’s employment brand and workforce development strategy with the College’s Strategic Plan and the Chancellor’s Priorities.
Torrico previously served as the ACC’s first Employee Relations Officer (ERO), where she managed the formal Employee Grievance process, resolved issues informally when possible, and recommended research-based employment practices to address root causes for concern and foster a more positive workplace.
Torrico holds master’s degrees in Psychology and Business Administration. Her HR career began during her time in the Army, where she served as a Personnel Officer in the Special Operations functions, among other roles. Torrico left active duty after being recruited by McDonald’s Corporation to serve as a Business Partner in Latin America and the Pacific Northwest and later as Divisional Employment Strategy Director. Prior to relocating to Austin to join ACC in 2022, Torrico supported psychiatric hospitals working as a People and Operations Administrator with United Health Group.
In her new role, Torrico will serve on the Chancellor’s Cabinet and report directly to the Executive Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration. Torrico’s first day as Vice Chancellor of Human Resources will be effective April 3, 2023.
ACC began its nationwide search for a new vice chancellor of Human Resources following the retirement of Gerry Tucker, J.D., in February 2022, with Vickers serving in the role in the interim.
The college will begin its search for a new ERO immediately.