On Veterans Day, Austin Community College District (ACC) honors those who served in our nation’s military. The college is honored that more than 150 veterans have chosen to work at ACC. In recognition and appreciation of their service and dedication, we asked some of them about their service and what Veterans Day means to them.

Misty Rasmussen

Misty Rasmussen is ACC’s associate dean of Planning and Accreditation. She has worked at the college for 5 1/2 years.

In which branch of the military did you serve and for how long?

I had the privilege to serve with the United States Marine Corps (USMC) for six years.

What was your rank and/or position(s)?

During my six years in the USMC, I proudly served in different positions. I was a Sergeant, and I also was an Air Traffic Control Communications Technician (with Marine Air Squadron 2, Detachment Bravo). And, as we call them in the civilian world, I had “other duties as assigned,” including Communications Chief, Armory Custodian, and Detachment Platoon Sergeant.

Where did you serve?

I served stateside and internationally, including being deployed frequently to participate in North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) operations. Stateside, I was stationed in Millington, Tennessee; Pensacola, Florida; and Jacksonville, North Carolina. I deployed to Yuma, Arizona, to participate in Weapons and Tactics Instructor Course (WTI) and Twentynine Palms, California, to conduct Combined Armed Exercises (CAX). My NATO participation was mainly international, and I served in Canada and overseas in Greece and Scotland.

Why did you join the military?

I joined the military because I wanted to be a part of something bigger than myself and to do something for the greater good.

What does Veterans Day mean to you?

Less than 2% of Americans volunteer to serve this country through military service, and that percentage is declining. Although many in our society may associate this day with discounts at retail stores and free meals, Veterans Day means so much more to me. It means honoring and acknowledging those who served, as well as the sacrifices they made to help preserve the freedoms we have as Americans.

How did the skills you learned in the military translate into your life/education/career afterward?

Leadership is the backbone of Marine Corps training. A key skill that I learned was that great leaders sacrifice their own comfort, and even their own survival, for the good of those in their care. One example of this is also a common practice in the Marine Corps, where the leaders eat last. It is a very simple practice, and I believe it is a bold leadership skill. This symbolic act builds trust in the leadership and stronger teams. It demonstrates that leaders regularly practice a standard where the welfare of the team always outweighs rank, regardless of the situation. This experience was a foundation for my leadership skills, and I practice it with those whom I supervise in higher education.

What do you want people to know about our veterans?

Did you know that there are no ex-Marines or former Marines? This is because the title “Marine” is earned, not given. Once a Marine, always a Marine! As a Marine, it was instilled in me that “in the chaos of battle, character matters.” Regardless of station, a Marine must be prepared to lead, and lead well. I learned that accomplishing the mission, no matter the cost, is paramount. That drive to lead and to accomplish the mission did not end when I completed my military service. As veterans, there is nothing we cannot accomplish.

How do you stay connected to the military?

I stay connected to the military by volunteering with local veteran groups, laying wreaths, attending Memorial Day ceremonies, celebrating the Marine Corps birthday with Marines who live in my neighborhood, and attending reunions with my last unit.

Frank Miranda

Frank Miranda has served as an ACC District Police Officer for 11 years.

U.S. Army Active Duty for eight years

What was your rank and/or position(s)?

E-5 Sergeant, Military Police / Military Police Investigator / Squad Leader

Where did you serve?

Stationed at Ft. Lewis, Washington, and Ft. Hood, Texas. Did two tours to Iraq.

Why did you join the military?

I joined the military to do my part to fight the war on terror.

What does Veterans Day mean to you?

Veterans Day means freedom, sacrifice, and honor for those who served in the military. It is also a day to give thanks to people who served and though our fallen have their day, still remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice.

Serving in the Army helped sharpen my mental and physical strengths. It gave me more discipline and helped me learn how to use my natural leadership skills. Serving alongside soldiers from all over the country helped me understand and accept all cultures our great nation has to offer. 

Veterans, no matter when or how they served, are proud of their time in service. Please keep in mind the wounds veterans might have are not always visible.

Judy L. Arriaga

Judy L. Arriaga is a business analyst in ACC’s Office of Institutional Research & Data Analytics. She started at ACC as an assistant II in the Technology Office from 2004-07. She returned to ACC in 2014 and served as the student support specialist for the Accelerated Programmer Training and Women in IT programs before taking on her current position in 2017. She is also an ACC 2002 graduate and a former Phi Theta Kappa chapter president. 

U.S. Army, two years.

What was your rank and/or position(s)?

PFC (Private First Class-E2). My MOS (Military Occupational Speciality) was a Mobile Subscriber Equipment Transmission Systems Operator (Signal – Provided secured communications in remote areas).

Where did you serve?

I completed Basic Training at Fort Jackson, South Carolina; Advanced Individual Training at Fort Gordon, Georgia; and was stationed at Fort Hood, Texas. I served during Desert Storm. 

Why did you join the military?

To serve my country first and foremost. Added incentives were the potential for financial assistance for my education, job skills training, and travel. I did not serve long enough to qualify for any GI Bill assistance; I paid for my own education.   

What does Veterans Day mean to you?

Veterans Day is a day to honor those who have made sacrifices for our freedom. Being a veteran means someone was willing to fight and die to preserve our country’s freedom. Also, it should not be overlooked that they are separated from their friends, family, and loved ones.  Spouses and children also made sacrifices when their veteran was deployed and they were alone to “hold down the fort.” 

The skills I learned in the Army allowed me to work at NASA (formerly named Lewis Research Center) John Glenn Research Center in Cleveland, Ohio, immediately after leaving the Army and returning home. At NASA, I installed LAN Systems (CAT5 & Fiber Optics). While I did not receive any GI Bill benefits, the job at NASA paid well and I was able to pay for my own education.  

Also, when I returned to work at ACC in 2014 under the Accelerated Programmer Training (APT) Program, I had previous knowledge of some of the award plans and I could easily relate to veterans. 

Veterans of all branches of the service learn very important life skills. Teamwork and communication are essential and having a veteran on your team is a bonus. Also, we work well under stress and adjust well to change. These are things we would face on a regular basis. I believe veterans have a different appreciation for life and where we are today. We know that life can be worse and if we want to make our situation better then we put the work in to achieve our goals. Words to describe a veteran: reliable, dependable, hard-working, flexible, dedicated, humble, survivor, gracious, selfless, loyal, integrity, and respectful. 

I stay in contact with my military family in many ways. Social media (primarily Facebook and LinkedIn), by phone (call or text), and on vacation last summer my daughter made plans to go visit someone I served with while we were passing through South Carolina. While we were visiting, he was calling several other members of our military family to let them know we were there. There have been times when I have not spoken to someone in my military family for a couple of years, but we can immediately reconnect and have a conversation as if we just spoke last week. It’s a network of friends that never fades or goes away. We all share a common bond, one that has bonded us for life.

Matthew Carothers

Matthew Carothers is a campus coordinator and has worked at ACC for eight years.

United States Coast Guard for four years until I got injured on a sea deployment.

What was your rank and/or position(s)?

Petty Officer 2nd Deck Crew Supervisor

Where did you serve?

Coast Guard Cutter Reliance in Yorktown, Virginia, and Coast Guard headquarters

Why did you join the military?

I love the sea and, in fact, it was to become a lighthouse keeper.

What does Veterans Day mean to you?

A time to reflect on veterans and the service we gave to individuals, fellow veterans, and the nation.

Caring towards humanity, self-reliance, integrity, team supervision.

As a whole, most veterans can be counted on to get a job done and do it because it is the right thing and not for self-recognition.

Volunteering with veterans programs such as the Veteran’s Court as a mentor, working with veteran programs, and mentoring veterans on a one-on-one basis to improve their lives.

Deirdre C. Moss

Deirdre C. Moss is a Student Affairs assistant (testing and assessment at Northridge Campus) who has worked at ACC for nearly two years. She is a former ACC student who went on to earn a Bachelor’s of Science degree from Texas A&M – Central Texas and is currently pursuing a master’s degree in Business Administration from Lamar University.

Eight years in the U.S. Army Active Duty and one year in the U.S. Army Reserves.

What was your rank and/or position(s)?

Sergeant/E5 – Personnel/Administration Sergeant

Where did you serve?

Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri; Fort Lee, Virginia; Fort Gordon, Georgia; Fort Hood, Texas; Naval Air Station, Grand Prairie, Texas; and Fort Meade, Maryland

Why did you join the military?

I knew my mother couldn’t afford to send me to college and I did not want to put an additional financial burden on her because I had two younger siblings. I joined the Army and went straight to boot camp at 18 years old, about 10 hours after I graduated from high school, which sent me to my first duty station (Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri).

I wanted to be independent and support myself while still having direction/guidance since I had never been away from my family or hometown. I also wanted to have the security of knowing when I was ready to attend college, I would receive education benefits from the military. The benefits of being a veteran really motivated me to do well and reap all the benefits that the military offered to honorably discharged soldiers.

What does Veterans Day mean to you?

Veterans Day means honor, sacrifice, and freedom for those who served honorably in the U.S. military. It is also a day to give thanks to people who served and never forget the families of veterans who made huge sacrifices while their loved ones served many tours of duty. Veterans Day causes me to reflect back and celebrate those before us who chose to serve and sacrifice something bigger than themselves. I also pray daily for our active-duty troops and their families because they too will be joining this very special elite group of very special veterans in the future.

My military experience was a major part of who I am as an adult. I learned how important being part of a team is when it comes to developing leadership skills. I learned that every team member plays an intricate role in the team meeting their goals successfully. The military gave me the confidence and skills to know I can be successful at any endeavor I choose to take on.

Being in the military, I discovered and understood the importance of being of service. Every job I have had was all about being of service to my country, state, city, and local community because it gives me purpose while fulfilling the need of helping others successfully meet their professional goals. The military instilled in me how trust, patience, listening skills, and believing in yourself, and others can take you as far as you choose to go professionally, but that formula also works well if utilized in your personal life.

Our veterans are the most selfless individuals God created. Our veterans who served in the military during wartime were treated very poorly by the American government and its citizens. Still to this day, some are treated badly so we should do all we can to make sure veterans are treated with all the dignity and respect we can muster up because the veterans earned it and deserve it!

I also want them to know how important it is to support all military personnel and their families because it is very hard for the troops and their families to move constantly. If anyone ever has the honor and privilege to help out veterans, even in the smallest way, please open your hearts and minds to service with an understanding it’s bigger than you and it means a heck of a lot to all of us Veterans, active duty, and retired military. 

I own a small business called “A Piece of the Pie.” I advise/consult with veteran-owned and small businesses about how to start a small business, get funding, insurance and bonding, determine what type of business fits their needs (DBA, Corporation, LLC). I also teach them how to get government contracts and write/submit requests for proposals and bids. I volunteer with the Texas Workforce Commission when they have events for veterans.

Robert Garza

Robert Garza is a Veterans Affairs specialist who has been with ACC for 11 years.

Four years in the U.S. Navy, USS STETHEM DDG 63

What was your rank and/or position(s)?

I ended up E-5, which is like middle management. I worked in Navigation, responsible for the safe travel of a billion-dollar warship

Where did you serve?

I was stationed in San Diego, California, and had two deployments to the Persian Gulf. I hit ports all over the world.

Why did you join the military?

As corny as it is, I joined to see the world.

What does Veterans Day mean to you?

It’s a day of remembrance, reflection, gratitude, and thanks for those who paid the price for freedom and democracy.

Lots of opportunities to build interpersonal skills by working with people from all over the country, world, and different socio-economic situations. Finding a way to set aside differences and come together to work as a unit to accomplish a singular goal has helped me throughout life in a variety of ways.

As a veteran, I’m just like anyone else.

I stay connected to the military with my work. I have been serving veterans and their families at ACC for over 11 years, helping them navigate this higher education setting. I also keep in touch with a couple of old Navy buddies from 20 years ago, and sometimes we still get online and play games.