Austin Community College District (ACC) congratulates Amanda King, the 2021 Riverbat Employee of the Year.
King is a tutoring specialist in English at the Northridge Campus Learning Lab. She began her ACC journey in the Learning Lab in 2010 as an hourly tutor in English and Writing. In 2012, she accepted an opportunity to serve as an adjunct English professor. She continues to serve in both roles today.
Since her start, King has expanded and enhanced her skills to better serve ACC students and staff. She has participated in ACC events and workshops that support student persistence and the equity and inclusion goals at the college.
Her impressive journey has led her to various activities and events, including:
- Hosting live tutoring sessions that covered subject-specific topics in English and writing,
- Serving as a mentor for ACC’s ASCENDER program,
- Engaging students at Student Life events,
- Conducting a student book club in collaboration with Student Life and ACC librarians,
- Serving on a scholarship committee,
- Supporting ACC’s registration stations,
- Collaborating with Student Accessibility Services to seek best practices in student accommodations,
- Conducting in-person and online class presentations to promote ACC’s Learning Labs,
- Connecting with the College Living Experience program that supports students on the spectrum, and
- Teaching Dual Credit and Early High School courses.
In a personal venture, King explored the effectiveness of face masks, found a pattern and material, and sewed and delivered masks to her colleagues at the beginning of the pandemic. After making masks for the lab staff, King continued to make face masks to distribute to her neighbors, healthcare workers, and other community members.
Her devotion to serving others, her spirited personality, and her ability to connect with a diverse population are the marks of a true ACC Riverbat who has demonstrated excellent communication, responsiveness, and collaboration.
Contributed by ACC Human Resources