With the start of a new academic year comes a new set of employee association presidents who have been voted into office by their colleagues. Learn more about them below.

Lisa Marie Coppoletta | Adjunct Faculty Association

Lisa Marie Coppoletta has been teaching at ACC as an adjunct professor in the Communication Studies Department since 2007. Her background is in coaching intercollegiate forensics (Speech and Debate) in the private and public university settings. 

What do you appreciate about your role?
I appreciate the diversity of our ACC student population. ACC’s focus on pedagogy is rewarding. I am passionate about reinforcing my students’ self-concepts to prepare them for the job market in various communication contexts, particularly public speaking. 

What additional role(s) at the college have you held (if any)?
In addition to shared governance committee work, some of my most rewarding experiences are public relations videos for ACC. It was a great experience to represent the AFA as a spokesperson for the 2024 Data Summit video “ACC Employee Associations – Importance of Values.” 

I was a panelist at Campus Conversation on the SACS Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP) collegewide voting for “Creating a culture of inclusivity through universal design for learning (UDL)” in 2021. 

I was honored to be selected as a video spokesperson for two videos for the topic selection process of the SACS QEP “Creating a Culture of Inclusivity through Universal Design for Learning” and “On The Write Track” in 2021. 

I also served as a video spokesperson for ACC Teaching & Learning Excellence “’LMC’ Lisa Marie Coppoletta: Purpose & Belonging” in 2021. 

During the QEP representing adjuncts, I worked hard for adjuncts to be paid a fair hourly rate to develop microcredentials classes. I am looking forward to those opportunities being implemented soon. 

What inspired you to run for president of the Adjunct Faculty Association?
I was motivated to run for president to amplify my colleagues’ concerns and bring systemic change through changes to Administrative Rules. Some of our adjuncts have been teaching at ACC for decades, carry the same concerns year after year, and want to see problem-solving occur. Adjunct teaching styles are notable, and we resonate with our students. However, we need support systems to ensure longevity. We bring immense value to ACC with our institutional knowledge of ACC processes and people. 

Currently, over 1,700 adjuncts teach at ACC. We bring diverse experiences in higher education and the private and public sectors. For some adjuncts, this is our sole source of income. For some adjuncts, this is a part-time teaching opportunity to supplement a full-time job working elsewhere. Most of us struggle to make ends meet, especially in this economy. We teach, answer emails, and prepare instructional materials on nights and weekends. We drive to distant campuses throughout the day to serve ACC students. Some of us teach online and are in virtual office hours past 11:30 p.m. to accommodate our students’ work schedules. While we may be considered part-time, we put in both full-time hours and our souls into our work.

While serving as vice president, a recent victory for the AFA was the 6% pay adjustment for our course preparation duties at the beginning of the semester. We should all honor AFA leaders who worked for many years on this cause. Don Morris has been instrumental in bringing this goal to fruition for many years. 

Another recent victory was free tuition for dependents of ACC employees. Last year, AFA President Amber Luttig-Buonodono, campus representative David Albert, and I, as vice president, delivered speeches before the ACC Board of Trustees urging free tuition for high school students extended to dependents of ACC employees. We are thankful for the votes of the trustees.

While serving on shared governance committees, I always request paid training and compensation for adjuncts when additional duties are formulated, as extra work should result in fair compensation. 

Do you have any goals for this year in your role as president?
If you are an adjunct and have a concern, please complete this survey so we can move your issue through the shared governance process here at ACC. 

The first objective is to beef up some Administrative Rules and ACC policies. Adjuncts are particularly vulnerable to losing classes, which impacts our ability to pay bills and provide for our families. We aim to address some work culture issues here at ACC. 

The second objective relates to compensation. These issues include the MFA competition scale, course caps, mileage reimbursement for ECS/ECHS, expanding access to healthcare, a Pathways Committee for adjuncts to achieve full-time positions, increasing access to virtual teaching training opportunities, and providing increased DIL sections for adjuncts. 

The third objective is to enhance public relations and outreach so that we maintain a unified voice in expressing our concerns, finding solutions, and serving our students in a joyous classroom atmosphere. This fall, I launched the AFA “Passionate About Pedagogy Podcast.” The podcast, which includes guests who share updates on ACC initiatives, is released monthly and shares the adjunct experience at ACC.  

Last year, Amber kicked off the “Coffee Chats,” where adjuncts share their concerns with AFA leadership in a virtual setting on Zoom. I plan to continue that tradition. 

How can employees get involved in your organization?
We have elections in the spring of each year, so be on the lookout for those announcements. Take that first step to become involved as a campus rep and amplify your concerns with our larger body, the AFAEC. I would also like to invite my adjunct colleagues to be guests on the “Passionate About Pedagogy Podcast” if you have teaching strategies or student engagement techniques or would like to share your rewarding adventures in a community college environment. Also, if my colleagues would like a private Zoom conference to express a concern, I am always available to help connect you to resources. Your issue may result in an Administrative Rule change and lead to long-term solutions for all adjuncts teaching at ACC. 

What is the best way for employees to reach you or the association?
Our website is https://sites.austincc.edu/afa and my email is [email protected]

What do you “geek out” about?
I am a ham radio operator with a general Class License and a general Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) license. I am also learning CW, known as Morse Code. I have some gorgeous keys, including two from the famous Morse Code Key builder Begali located in Italy. I build my antennas. I have made contacts worldwide using “home-brew,” aka homemade antennas made out of wire. I am passionate about Emergency Communications so civilians can work with law enforcement and first responders in the event of a natural disaster. Ham radio operators are the coolest, kindest geeks. I encourage anyone to give it a try. I have no scientific background, and the mentorship I receive from my “Elmers” [ham-speak for mentor] is empowering. The Ham Radio Clubs include the Long Island CW Club, Straight Key Century Club, Hays-Caldwell Amateur Radio Club, and The Richardson Wireless Klub. You may save a life with emergency communications. Please consider obtaining your ham radio license. If I can do it, so can you! 

What do you believe it takes to help students succeed? 
Here is an article on my approach to Pedagogy: https://instruction.austincc.edu/tledupdates/2021/05/06/teaching-learning-champions-lisa-marie-coppoletta-lmc/

Any final thoughts you’d like to share?
Last year, as vice president of the AFA, I created a fundraising event for the ACC Employee Emergency Fund, selling t-shirts. I want to thank all those who supported this cause. We raised over $1,400, setting a record. Our second fundraiser for the Employee Emergency Fund runs from August 28 to September 18. Please help us break our current fundraising record by purchasing a shirt here

Victor Sibaja | Association of Professional-Technical Employees 

Victor Sibaja started at ACC in November 2013 as a Media Technology Specialist. Over the last almost 11 years, he’s been a video producer and, since 2019, the manager of Instructional Media Production under the Teaching & Learning Excellence Division (TLED).

What inspired you to run for APTE president?
Having been a cohort member of the Leadership Academy in 2019, becoming involved in shared governance and serving in associations was always part of the long-term goal. I had hesitations in taking those first steps toward that goal but thankfully I had fellow members of my leadership cohort who encouraged me to get involved and supported me along the way.

We have several goals in relation to increasing Prof-Tech participation and engagement with our association members, which will involve holding more workshops and events throughout the academic year. At the same time, we have an overarching effort for AY24-25 that will focus on nurturing a culture of appreciation, defining and supporting commitment to our constituency, and revisiting and updating our constitution to better align APTE’s goals and purpose with ACC’s values and mission. I call these our A.C.C. guiding themes for APTE this academic year.

We really want to encourage all our Prof-Tech employees to: visit our website and learn more about APTE, be on the lookout for our email communications with information about upcoming workshops and events, and participate and engage in our efforts by submitting names for our soon-to-launch APTE Allstars initiative. Details on that and more will be rolled out by or before the second week of September.

Employees can reach us by emailing [email protected], or they can find contact information for individual officers and executive council members by visiting https://instruction.austincc.edu/apte/contact/

Where did you grow up? What was it like?
I grew up in Brownsville, Texas — the southernmost city in Texas. Brownsville has great culture, food, access to one of Texas’ most popular beaches, and lots of nature to explore. Growing up in Brownville was fun with lots of taco nights, fishing and swimming at the beach, and the occasional visit to the neighboring Mexican city.

What is something you think everyone should do at least once in their lives?
Ride a roller coaster.

What do you “geek out” about?
Plants and chickens…I have both at home.

Please share your motto, mantra, or personal philosophy.
Be kind, stay humble, and don’t forget to say thank you.

What’s the biggest lesson you’ve learned professionally?
Always do what you can to show your team you value them and appreciate them.

When the opportunity to help a student arises, show up in your most authentic way.

Any final thoughts you’d like to share?
I love ACC and all it does for our students and community. I feel so fortunate to do what I love, at a place I love, alongside amazing people. Go Riverbats!

Nathaniel Hellman | Classified Employees Association 

Nathaniel Hellman began working for ACC as a full-time Police Officer in 2013. As of 2022, he is a Master Police Officer who has worked at many of the ACC campuses over the years. 

What do you enjoy about your role?
One role I enjoy as a police officer is “community policing,” where we partner with our community of students, staff, faculty, adjunct faculty, professional-technical employees, contractors, visitors, and the community to transform the relationship between the public and police to meet community needs, empower people, understand underlying issues, and develop solutions to community concerns. Another role I enjoy is mentoring ACC students. I mentored one student who also was a full-time employee at ACC. This student completed his ACC Associate Degree in Criminal Justice and the ACC Basic Police Academy and later passed his Texas Commission of Law Enforcement (TCOLE) exam. This student and employee completed all requirements and later became employed by the ACC District Police Department as a full-time police officer.

What inspired you to run for president?
My background includes having a decade of experience as a member and leader in the Austin Community College American Federation of Teachers (ACC AFT) where we organize, educate, unite, and amplify our voice and our power as ACC employees to support the College’s mission to serve students and better serve ACC employees. I later ran for the ACC Board of Trustees in the November 2022 statewide election because I was passionate about being a change agent for ACC students and employees. Many ACC employees asked me to run for office in the Classified Employee Association (CEA) as president-elect.

One goal shared among many employee associations is to support pay raises for ACC employees through the Compensation and Reclassification Study and persuade the ACC Board of Trustees to support these activities. We want employees to share in the success of ACC. The CEA will meet with ACC Chancellor Dr. Russell Lowery-Hart, the CEA Council, and the general members of the CEA to determine other goals for the next fiscal year. The CEA will also work closely with the Student Government Association (SGA) and other employee associations including the Association of Professional-Technical Employees, Adjunct Faculty Association, and the Full-Time Faculty Senate.

Please check for emails from the CEA or visit the CEA website: https://sites.austincc.edu/cea

I can be reached at [email protected].

I grew up in Dallas, Texas, where I attended Skyline High School and graduated valedictorian of my high school of nearly 1,000 students. Dallas was home to the Dallas Cowboys and the Dallas Mavericks. The State Fair of Texas and Deep Ellum are great places to experience in Dallas. My favorite places to fish in Dallas include White Rock Lake and Lake Ray Hubbard.

Everyone should speak in front of a very large crowd.

What do you “geek out” about?
I really enjoy visiting and researching different real estate properties. Every property has a unique story. I bet I could start a television show or YouTube channel describing the unique history of each property. I bought my first investment property before I became a licensed real estate agent in the State of Texas. Everyone deserves a home or a business. I believe the education that I have obtained learning about real estate is priceless and this information alone helps me better protect my own family property.

Always walk with your chin up, back straight, open your mouth, and speak up. If you remember three things about me: I want you to have the courage to overcome fear, be empowered to take action, and never be afraid to tell the truth.

Our strongest gift to each other should be inspiring the best in each other.

Inspiration, love, empowerment, and basic sustainable resources.

Any final thoughts you’d like to share?
I think we need a 24-hour campus that is accessible to students, staff, and employees 24 hours a day. This would better serve our students and communities that need a safe place to study and meet basic needs. I propose we open only one building at ACC Highland Campus, Building 1000 only. Starting at 11 p.m., it would only be open to actively enrolled and current students and employees with an active ACC identification card and lanyard. Students would have access to the library, ACCelerator, showers, Student Life, and food pantry. We cannot solve all the basic needs of our students. However, we can afford to provide one place accessible to our actively enrolled students that is safe and has all the resources they need to thrive, create, innovate, learn, and set a foundation to do amazing things in life. Success happens at all hours. Students need access to the revolutionary technology in the ACCelerator at all hours. I can‘t take credit by myself for this idea. When I was a student at the University of Texas at Austin, there was a building open 24 hours for UT students. I think we can do more and do it better thanks to the support of our taxpayers. There is a need for this. This would be transformational to the students who need it the most by providing access to our learning environment 24 hours a day. This will also help students who face housing challenges have a safe place to thrive and study.

Full-Time Faculty Senate

Coming soon.