Post updated Wednesday, November 6, 2023

With the start of a new academic year comes a new set of employee association presidents who have been voted into office by their colleagues. Learn more about them below.

Student Government Association: Marisela Perez Maita

Austin Community College District’s (ACC) Student Government Association (SGA) is an integral part of the college. SGA serves as the official voice of the student body to link, promote, and improvise both the social and educational experience between the college community, students, and ACC administration. 

During the regular October 2023 board meeting, new officers were sworn in to serve for the academic year. Meet Marisela Perez Maita, a General Studies major, who began at ACC in 2022. She serves as the president of SGA.

Marisela: When I immigrated to the United States in 2021, it meant a significant change in my life. Despite the recurring fear of facing a big change, my goal was to continue studying. Austin Community College gave me the opportunity and resources to do so. Since the moment I enrolled at ACC, I got involved with different departments and programs because I knew that was the only way to be part of the ACC community and take advantage of all the resources that are here for us. 

Through volunteering in Student Life, I learned about ACCENT Student Media, the student-led newspaper of ACC. There, I found my passion for writing and connecting with people, which helped me discover my career path. Now, I know this is the degree path for me, and next year I’ll start my Journalism degree program. Moreover, as a reporter, I could see that a lot of what we talked about in the ACCENT news was closely related to the student’s needs and interests that often went unresolved. 

That’s why I joined SGA, because it is the association that should bring to the table what is happening on our campuses. I believe what we do in SGA, what student organizations and students do, is mutually beneficial. Everything is part of the big wave of ACC students who want to make their voices heard and make a difference here. I want to be part of that change, especially since it is my last year, and I really want to leave something behind to make sure that the ACC that I leave is much better than the one I found. 

For more information and to get involved with SGA, visit austincc.edu/sga.

Classified Employee Association: Bernadette Hinterlong

Bernadette “Bernie” Hinterlong (she/her) is the 2023-24 Classified Employee Association (CEA) President. She started as a work-study student at ACC in 2003 and has been a science lab technician for the Biology Department since 2004.

What inspired you to run for president?
This is the fourth time that I have been President of the Classified Employee Association. I have attempted to make ACC a better place to work for all employees every time that I have held this office.

What are your goals this year in your role as president?
The goals for the CEA this year are as follows:

1. Getting upward evaluations back into the PEP process.
  2. Creating a mentor program to support new employees and allow legacy employees to share their institutional knowledge.
  3. Working with administration to take on compression, which is something our association has been working on for quite some time.
  4. Working with Staff Professional Development to increase professional development and EAP services for all staffing table employees.

How can employees get involved in your organization?
Employees can get involved by coming to our meetings, volunteering to be on a committee, or just asking what they can do to help.

What is the best way for employees to reach you or the association?
The easiest way to get a hold of me is to send me an email — I’m in the directory. To get a hold of the association, they can reach out to any of the CEA officers or their campus council members.

What is the most valuable life lesson you’ve learned?
The most valuable lesson that I have learned in my life is to always appreciate your loved ones and tell them that you love them because they can be gone in the blink of an eye. 

Please share your motto, mantra, or personal philosophy.
My motto is: “Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” – Mark Twain

Association of Professional-Technical Employees: David DeRouen

David DeRouen (he/him/his), Area of Study Advising Supervisor at the Hays Campus, is the 2023-24 Association of Professional-Technical Employees (APTE) president. DeRouen started working at ACC in 2010 and has also served as an advisor and grant coordinator. 

What inspired you to run for president?
I’m inspired to help others, which is my reason for originally entering higher education. I am motivated by a genuine dedication to the welfare of APTE members and the organization as a whole. I pride myself on listening to understand and my preparedness to listen to the concerns of the community, work collaboratively with the administration, and to make decisions that are in the best interest of APTE membership.  

The association’s goals and objectives for 2023-24 are:

1. Professional Development: Support the professional growth and development of its members through workshops, seminars, training sessions, and conferences that provide educational opportunities and help members enhance their skills and knowledge in their respective fields.
    1. Query membership through survey pre-fall semester
    2. Initiate conversation with Human Resources Vice Chancellor for advocacy
    3. Research Higher Education Conference appropriate to community college staff

Success in supporting the professional growth and development of members through educational opportunities will involve a combination of qualitative and quantitative measurements aimed at ensuring members are acquiring valuable skills and achieving career goals.

1. Networking and Collaboration: Foster a sense of community and facilitate networking among members. Provide platforms for professionals to connect, share ideas, and collaborate on projects.
    1. Scaled down meet-and-greets to bolster opportunities for each region
    2. Research and implement/advocate department project calendars
    3. Identify other Association network opportunities to plan

Success in fostering a sense of community and facilitating networking among members will involve both quantitative and qualitative assessments. It requires continuous efforts to ensure that the APTE community remains vibrant, valuable, and inclusive, and that it contributes positively to the professional well-being of its members.  

1. Advocacy and Representation: Advocate for the interests and needs of the membership through lobbying for continuous improvement in working conditions, fair compensation, and professional recognition.
    1. Pre-fall semester meeting with Finance & Administration Executive Vice Chancellor and HR concerning ‘market survey’ for the coming year
    2. Explore opportunities for more involvement/communication in the above process
    3. Survey Association members for areas of concern and advocacy once a quarter

Success in advocating for the interests and needs of the membership will involve achieving concrete, positive changes that directly benefit members. It will include building support, awareness, and engagement both within the organization and the broader professional community. Assessment evaluations of these indicators will measure effectiveness and impact.

1. Knowledge Sharing and Information Exchange: Serve as an improving platform for sharing knowledge, information dissemination, best practices, and resources among members.
    1. Research and implement a community discussion board for APTE
    2. Review and revise newsletter to include frequency of creation
    3. Advocate for formal end-to-end instruction and written procedures on best practices and directives 

Success in knowledge sharing and information exchange will involve creating an active and valuable APTE website platform where members can freely share knowledge, best practices, and resources to benefit the entire community. Ongoing assessment and feedback will ensure platform growth to meet evolving needs and expectations.  

1. Career Support and Mentorship: Advocate for and facilitate career support services and mentorship that empowers members to advance careers, explore new opportunities, and navigate workplace challenges.
    1. Advocate for representation on ‘invite only’ participation for Leadership Academy and Supervisor Certificate programs 
    2. Advocate for formalized mentorship programs that connect longitudinally in the organizational structure

Success in advocating for APTE members will ignite collaboration with HR in facilitating career support services and fostering meaningful mentorship relationships, and providing opportunities. Continuous assessment and adaptation will ensure effectiveness of programmatic efforts. 

Your APTE website is a great place to start! https://instruction.austincc.edu/apte/

I can be reached at [email protected]. The website listed above has additional contact information that is continually monitored. 

More interviews coming soon.