Austin Community College District is changing the way we explore careers and find our purpose with the Make It Center (MIC) at ACC Highland. You’re invited to the Center’s community grand opening during ACC’s Riverbat Homecoming Fest on Saturday, September 23.
Make It Center Grand Opening
Date: Saturday, September 23, 2023
Time: 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Location: ACC Highland Campus, Building 2000, 2nd Floor, Room 2429
The MIC allows middle and high school students and the community to pursue their passions, find their purpose, and discover educational pathways to get them there through hands-on career exploration. The 10,000-square-foot Center will eventually have the capacity to serve more than 50,000 current and future student visits a year.
Through collaborative business and industry partnerships, the MIC will help inspire meaningful career pathways that lead to well-paying and in-demand jobs, impacting the ACC community’s quality of life and economic mobility.
“The Make It Center is a place of discovery where purpose and strengths connect you to promising careers,” says Dr. Janelle Green, Make It Center director. “Our team is so excited to welcome the community into our space and to continue partnering in meaningful ways to deliver unforgettable experiences in the Make It Center! We hope all guests walk away with a sense of hope and some inspiration about what the future holds for them and their families.”
Guests visiting the MIC can expect to have a range of hands-on and immersive experiences, including:
- Simulation Zone: Virtual reality simulations that allow users to “try out” different careers by immersing themselves in various job sites.
- The Forge: An area where guests can engage their curiosity and imagination, using tools like 3D printing, laser cutters, and vacuum formers to create career-related projects.
- Square 1: Engaging displays and exhibits that help the community explore the fastest-growing jobs and industries in Central Texas.
- Interacting with Pepper: Guests have the opportunity to interact and take pictures with Pepper, the humanoid robot mascot of the MIC.
The Center held a soft opening in spring 2023. More than 300 people attended the special ribbon-cutting ceremony.
The innovative center is the result of a deep collaboration between the college and the Make It Movement. ACC first collaborated with the initiative in 2019 for the Skill-Up Festival at South By Southwest (SXSW). More than 2,200 guests attended the two-day festival meant to dispel negative stigmas around skilled careers, elevate the value of a two-year education, and showcase ACC programs.
The center is open for tours and events. Anyone interested in using the MIC space, requesting a tour, or hosting an event must complete the MIC Space/Event Request form.
The Center’s Fall 2023 hours are:
Monday | 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. (by reservation only)
Tuesday – Friday | 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
– 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. – Facilitated programming hours (Field trips, guided exploration, workshops, camps, active drop-in engagement, etc.)
– 3 – 5 p.m. – Self-guided exploration and engagement with experiences in the MIC
Saturdays & Sundays | Closed
For questions about the Make It Center, email email@example.com or call 512-223-1470.
To learn more, watch the video below and visit the Make It Center website at austincc.edu/mic.