After suspending the program in 2020, 2021, and 2022 during the COVID-19 pandemic, Austin Community College (ACC) District’s study abroad program returns in 2023. This summer, 12 ACC students pack their bags for a two-week trip to Costa Rica to study the biodiversity of rainforests.

One of those students is ACC Sustainable Agriculture graduate Morgan Hay.

“It’s always been a dream of mine. I also would love to travel internationally often in the future, and I thought this would be a good start to learning how to do with the safety net of ACC looking out for me. I planned on taking this study-abroad course in 2019 while I was actively enrolled at ACC due to the COVID-19 pandemic. I was still very attached to the idea of participating in this course, so I decided to circle back and take one last course at ACC.”

The Costa Rica trip is one of 10 Study Abroad programs scheduled for the summer — each program typically runs from two to four weeks. The college also will host opportunities in Austria, Spain, Cuba, England, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, and Romania.

In July 2022, ACC received a U.S. Department of State’s Increase and Diversify Education Abroad for U.S. Students (IDEAS) Program grant to expand options. More options will be available in summer 2024.

Throughout their journey, you can follow Morgan and the rest of the Costa Rica cohort. ACC will share updates, videos, photos, and blogs from the students on the district’s social media platforms.

To learn more about the study abroad program at ACC, visit austincc.edu/studyabroad.