Contributed by Student Affairs Communications
June is Pride Month! While we strive to make every day a positive experience for our LGBTQIA+ community at ACC, Pride Month is a particularly special time of the year. It is a time for LGBTQIA+ communities around the world to come together, celebrate love, and show support for one another.
If you are looking for opportunities to get involved with Pride Month this year, check out the Pride Month Guide below, which includes upcoming events, helpful resources, and training to help you better understand and support ACC’s LGBTQIA+ community.
As a reminder, ACC’s LGBT eQuity Committee is always looking for passionate students, faculty, and staff to get involved and volunteer. Founded in 2014, the LGBT eQuity Committee and its officers work hard to create systemic change at ACC by revising policies, providing robust support networks, and hosting LGBTQIA+ events.
The committee is currently looking for a Membership Officer, Event Planning Officer, and an Ally Trainer to join the team. Joining the officer team is a great way to serve students and employees and make a difference in the LGBTQIA+ community.
If you have any questions about the LGBT eQuity Committee or how to participate, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Beyond the Rainbow: LGBTQ Pride Month Guide
🏳️🌈 Pride Month events:
- Saturday, June 11 | Rainbow on the Creek
Rainbow on the Creek is a free, family-friendly celebration that connects, educates, and celebrates Austin’s LGBTQIA+ community. The celebration will include 25+ activations by LGBTQIA+ nonprofits and partners, a Queer BIPOC and Latinx artisan and craft market, gender-affirming care and sexual health resources, and many more activities for the whole family.
- Saturday, June 18 | The 2nd Annual LGBTQIA+ Iced Coffee with a Cop
Stop by the Starbucks located at 2900 W. Anderson Ln. from 12 – 3 p.m. to have coffee with APD officers who are part of the LGBTQIA+ community!
- Saturday, June 18 | Pflugerville Pride Festival
Pflugerville Pride’s Inaugural Pride Pfestival will include a street festival with local vendors, food and drinks, a family pfun zone, and a stage that will feature live music, LGBT comedians headliner Tammie Brown!
- Tuesday, June 28 | LGBTQIA+ Student Focus Group
On June 28, the Student Affairs Communication team, in partnership with LGBT Equity, is hosting a Student Focus Group for LGBTQIA+ students. The purpose of this event is to learn more about our LGBTQIA+ student’s experiences at ACC and discover opportunities to better support them.
- Saturday, August 20 | Sign up to walk with ACC in the Austin Pride Parade
Although Pride Month is in June, the city of Austin’s official Pride Parade is in August. Join our group of Riverbats to celebrate this fun-filled day!
🏳️🌈 Learn how to become a supportive ALLY:
- Become an ALLY – Please complete the ALLY interest form to be added to the waitlist to be notified of training dates.
- LGBTQIA+ Breaking Down the Acronym
- Pronouns 101
- The LGBTQIA2+ Community: Our Pronouns, When and How To Use Them
🏳️🌈 Resources for ACC’s LGBTQIA+ student community:
- $500 LGBT eQuity Scholarship
- Chosen Name Process – The college has created a process to allow students to request the use of a chosen first name where possible within the college’s records and systems.
- Find all-gendered bathrooms
- Library Services LGBTQIA Books
Check out the LGBTeQuity webpage for additional resources, articles, and opportunities to get involved all year long!